Thursday, January 30, 2014

World's Most Difficult...

I did it. 


So, this looks like an ordinary puzzle, right? Well... First off, it's a picture of Dalmatians. That makes it pretty hard in the first place, right? There's 529 pieces, so it's not huge, but it is a considerable size. 

It's double sided. The second side is rotated 90 degrees. The pictures are the SAME. 

Oh, and the pieces are all cut to the same shape. 

And if you didn't already think THAT was hard enough...

(Wait for it...)

When you have a normal jigsaw puzzle, you can feel along the edge to find out which side is the bottom. Not this one. The designers made one cut vertically, then FLIPPED the puzzle over and made the horizontal cut from the other side!! It's impossible to tell which side is which. I mean, seriously?!?

So, yeah, I'm kind of bragging, I guess. Cause I finished it. (Does happy dance around room)

This puzzle is named (quite appropriately, in my opinion) "World's Most Difficult Jigsaw Puzzle." Yep. That's literally what it's called. 

It took around 20-25 hours total to completely this puzzle. (Over the course of a busy month!) Luckily, all of the things the designers did to it came with a few advantages. 

Because it's cut on both sides, you can divide the center pieces into "left" and "right" categories. 

I also discovered early on that every center piece (minus one diagonal row) has a sister piece that matches on both sides. Most of the time solving was spent matching pieces up. (Or rematching because the box was bumped)

I had to solve the puzzle in two halves because the surfaces I was using weren't big enough. 

I finished it. (Sighs in relief) I think I'll take a break from jigsaw puzzles for a while. Well, there's my random story for the day! See you later!

M.

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.