Friday, May 1, 2015

Me of little faith, why do I doubt?

Immediately he[Jesus] made the disciples get into the boat and go before him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds.  And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, but the boat by this time was a long way from the land, beaten by the waves, for the wind was against them. And in the fourth watch of the night he  came to them, walking on the sea. But when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost! and they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take heart; it is I. Do not be afraid.

And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water. He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, O you of little faith, why did you doubt? And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased. And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

(Matthew 14:22-33 ESV)
{Colors and size variation added for clarity and emphasis}

Okay, lets unpack this story: First Jesus lets the disciples go while he deals with the crowds. Pretty cool, right?

Then Jesus prays. Whaa? That is what confuses me about the trinity, but I guess He would miss His alone time with his Dad. (I am not going into all my thoughts on that right now. Maybe another post.)

Now the disciples are being tossed around in a boat which is far from land and beaten by the waves because the wind is against them. Oh, and then they think they are seeing a ghost coming towards them (I don't know about you but I would hope to have passed out by this point because that would be scary!!!!)

Then the "ghost" is Jesus. (Have you ever realized that the thing you were afraid would make things worse was really what God would use to save you? I have.)

And he tells them to take heart, it is him; they don't need to be afraid. (this is like the point in my fear and anxiety when I remember that God is bigger and stronger then my circumstances that He loves me and is here.

Check out Peter's next line.Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water. It could be one (or both) of two things. Either this is a "Prove it" moment or Peter is stepping out in faith and trusting that it is safer with Jesus then in the boat. (I think is was a mixture)
In any case Jesus says "Come," So Peter walked to Jesus on the water. {He walked on water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!} I think this compares in my life to the times when I am so excited to be okay and don't even recognize the incredible means God used to get me there.

Next: Peter sees the wind. In a sermon this Sunday my pastor pointed out that you can't see wind, just its effects. Peter probably saw trees being bent or broken, and boats being rocked. (I see people leaving the Church, dying and hurting emotionally, My world being shaken.) Fearing what this could mean to us, we both started sinking and cried out to Jesus for help.

Here is my favorite part: Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?(Matthew 14:31 ESV)

Jesus immediately reached out to save Peter. Then He rebukes Him for his lack of faith. something almost identical happened to me about a week ago. I was doubting again. I cried out in my heart and God gave me faith though a simple reminder of answered prayer. It was like he gently said “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” He had it the whole time and I never had a reason to worry.
oh yeah and I almost forgot something else that is really cool: At the end  "those in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”"
-L.


P.S. Here are a few more verses about faith: Matthew 6:30 Matthew 8:26  Matthew 16:8 Matthew 17:19-20

P.S. And here is a spoken word.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.