Saturday, December 31, 2016

Remembering 2016



Thinking back over this year is kind of crazy. This semester has been so different from any other in my life, including spring of this past year.

This spring I was in a totally different choir from the one I'm in now, (nearly all of my closest friends at the time were in that choir with me) I was taking Ballet, and interning with the ministry I was in choir with.  I was taking Chemistry, I'd taken on my first two roles with over 50 lines in stage plays (in total I had to memorize over 300 lines this spring), I was in voice lessons, and I was missing my speech club like crazy. Then, sometime in March, I broke my foot in ballet class. Surprisingly enough, the only things I quit were ballet, and PE, but the rest of my spring and summer filled up with Dr.'s appointments, x-rays, and physical therapy, I wore a medical boot for about 9 weeks and then my mom bought me Birkenstock's and fancy running shoes as recommended by the foot doctor. [There are perks to everything;)]

In May, I auditioned for a more classical choir and they accepted me! That same month I published my first post on Never Fatherless. That's when I started to really open up about my Dad. I didn't really know how to talk about him before and I'm still learning but I'm excited to keep sharing my heart, especially with those with similar stories. The same month a lot of my close friends graduated. I was so scared of losing them! Somehow it wasn't as bad as I thought. Not all of them moved away, and I've made new friends. I'm a little scared for next May but I know God will take care of me.

In June I went to camp with my Church. Told that story a bit in my Father's Day post and A Hug from My Father. Basically, through camp, I learned that God loves me more than I knew, that I still miss my Dad more than I knew, and to lean on my church family for support because they love me too.

Later in June my physical therapist cleared me for normal activity including Dance, and I went to a Christian performing arts camp. I loved it so much! We had these worship times every day when someone would lead singing and we could sing along or pray or even dance as a form of prayer/worship. I danced a lot and I think it helped free others to do the same so it was exciting to see God use me in that way.

In July, I went to the home school convention in my state and hung out with the people who would become some of my closest friends. The last day of convention was the last time I saw one friend ever. M. mentioned in another post how he was shot along with his mom and little sister. I plan to share more on that later; I've written a lot about it, it's just hard to know how much to share.

I started with my new choir in August, and a friend visited from Australia around the start of school. I rejoined speech and debate and decided not to do Ballet this school year in light of scheduling. I also received my first lead role in a Shakespeare play, and started working on that. I went to two bridal showers in September and two weddings in October. Also in October, I helped my sister shop for a wedding dress!!!!!!!!! :D

November (oh yeah, I thought a lot about the election in all this time but enough people have talked about that online. You're welcome!) I performed in that Shakespeare play, and my sister got married. Yes, it's weird not having her around anymore, we'd both lived in the same house since birth until she got married. Her husband rocks though, and I loved being a part of their wedding, even with all the stress. Some of the family who came to town stayed for Thanksgiving. After the wedding I applied for the worship band at my Church but they said that they don't need me. :(

Then came December, Last minute shopping, a Christmas concert, final projects and tests, and finally the end of school for the semester. Some family returned for Christmas but had to leave early, while others stayed. So we had two Christmases with extended family. My brother even stayed to ring in the New year with us! I went to two beautiful Christmas eve services and read the true story in Luke. The idea that kept coming up in what I read and heard was the reliability of Christ. He became flesh, he was tempted just like us, he even had to grow up.

This year I learned that God loves me (and you) a lot, he crafted us in his image and when we messed it up, he came not only to be with us but to be like us. He not only became like us in what we experience but he took the punishment for our sins so we don't ever have to experience it.

I've learned to trust God more; he keeps coming through, doing things I didn't expect, reminding me that I don't have to have it under control or know what's going on, because he does. I guess that's why I've been more positive recently. God is doing some good work in me!

I've also been learning about the body of Christ (the Christian Church) and how we are supposed to work together. I'm learning to reach out to others more, taking the risk of telling people when I'm struggling and asking for help and encouragement. I've also been reaching out to encourage others recently but I've still got a lot more to learn there.

I don't know much about next year but with how this year has gone, I'm pretty excited! M. and I are really excited about an idea we have for the blog, but you'll read about that tomorrow. hehehe.

Okay, I've talked long enough! How was your year? What are some of your hopes and goals for 2017?

Happy New Year!
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.