Sunday, December 11, 2016

Christmas Community #3: Love one another



Hey ya'll!
Happy December! [My apologies to all subscribers for recent technical difficulties! Hope you enjoyed the flashback to May 2015 and weren't too confused by the Thanksgiving post that I published twice.] Well I have a real, new post for you today! Please enjoy!
-L.



 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart 
and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first 
commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 
On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

(Matthew 22:37-40 ESV)
 
That's what Jesus said when he was asked what the most important commandment was. I'm gonna focus on the second today I've been wanting to write about this for years! I've thought about like 10 different approaches and just couldn't get an angle that made sense in one blog post. I did a study of a whole page full of verses that say things like "love one another" and became even more convinced that this was important but I still didn't know how to explain what that meant. Then I thought back to the basics. Of course! What does God mean when he says to love my neighbor as myself?; Well He gave a pretty specific outline of what love is in 1 Corinthians 13... If I'm going to do a post on loving people God's way that seems like a pretty good basis. So I started thinking about it as it applied to my life: It was very convicting to me about my attitude toward those around me! Let me show you what I realized:

Love is patient

so we shouldn't be nagging each other all the time or quick to give up on the friendship when someone else messes up.

Love is kind

so we should treat each other well and do nice things for each other.

Love does not envy

so we shouldn't be jealous for the time or friendship of those we love (or their stuff.)


It does not boast
 so bragging to get someone to like you isn't a sign of love.

It is not proud.

so loving one another means not always thinking that we know best or deserve appreciation.

To be continued...
<3 div="" l.="">

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.