Sunday, May 18, 2014

Creative Writing Prompt #15: Part 1: Putting on The Mask

Hey Everyone,
L. Here with my first real post. This is more of a Pin/other blog inspired post then a creative writing prompt but I think you'll like it anyway  I'll tell you about my inspiration once I finish the story. Thanks for voting on my poll by the way. In case you hadn't noticed I  really like hearing from you guys.




------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I took a deep breath and let it go. I held a smooth rubbery mask in my hands. It matched my skin color perfectly but had no blemishes and seemed just a bit brighter then my own skin. I had worn masks before and knew that others did the same but this one was different. I wanted everyone (even my closest friends and family) to think it was my real face. I had spread on a special glue and now I pressed the carefully fashioned mask onto my face and smoothed out any bumps or wrinkles. I had made it myself, with much thought and care, trying to look like the people I admired or envied but had been careful to keep it from looking to much like any one of them. I wanted to be just unique enough to look real without feeling weird or out of place. The edges weren't quite perfect so I used my bangs to cover them up.
There. Perfect. I thought Now know one has to see my real face. Now maybe I'll be popular like the other girls.

And so the days went by, my mask stayed on and most people believed it and some even seemed to like me better now. It had worked! I know now that my close friends missed the real me but they thought I had changed and never guessed that I was hiding.
   I still wore my old masks sometimes. White for Church just like everyone else seemed to be wearing and red or pink for big parties depending on who would be there and sometimes a special mask for certain occasions but the new mask never left my face.
For a while I felt safe behind my mask but it soon became a burden. I could never show someone my true face without tearing the mask off and I knew that it would hurt and it might take too long to fix  and put back. I would have to admit that I had hidden from them before and what if I wanted to hide my face from them later? They would know all about my mask.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Sorry to end on such a sad note. Read Part 2 here.
-L.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.