Friday, February 7, 2014

On Why I Don't Post Enough and Creative Writing Prompt #7


Oh, Hello there. What did you ask? Oh yes, I'm doing fine. Yes, I'm still alive.


Well, I haven't written because I'm a very busy person. Homework is, after all, a bigger priority, right? (very true, writing is more fun...) I've also been dealing with some writer's block lately. I do have a creative writing assignment in class this week that I'm going to publish here when I finish!


Anyway, none of the above is very true. I've been gone because I'm lazy.


A definition: lazy means hopelessly obsessed with Sherlock Season 3 and forgetting about my poor blog. I would do a "review" of Sherlock, but I'm not going to. At least not yet anyways.


Hmmm.... well, the writer's block part was somewhat true. And I do have a story about my hobby that I'll share soon!


I guess I'll finish with a creative writing prompt and a verse that encouraged me this week.


***********************************

(This prompt is from my Pinterest, but I can't get the picture to show up in the window. Go figure.)


Writing Prompt #7 - Write about the most beautiful smile you've ever seen.

The most beautiful smile, some say, belongs to the one that has seen pain, and yet, still smiles. Charlotte certainly didn't think so right now. It had been a week. The house was so empty without him, knowing he'd never come back. He couldn't, after all. Charlotte's best friend, her husband of 48 years, was dead. Heart attack. Her heart broke when his did. The tears that rolled down her face today were ones of desperation, fear, and utter loneliness.

Her tightly clasped fist opened to look at his miniature photograph in her locket again. Kenny at eight years old, dressed up in a nice suit for Sunday church. Charlotte's vision blurred again as the necklace clinked on the floor. I hate this, her mind whispered. I hate him. Why would he do that to me? Charlotte shook herself and stood up. No, She argued. I love him; it wasn't his fault he died.

Ever so slowly she gathered the courage to walk to their room. She stopped at his closet, hands shaking. Kenny's last words to her resurfaced. "When I.... die, look on... the top shelf... of my closet... It is my... last... gift to... you. I... love you." He had said, his quavering hand on Charlotte's check. A week later, she was still afraid to look. Pushing back her doubts along with the closet door, her eyes rested on a box on the highest shelf.

Charlotte gently took the box down and set it on the floor, sitting down next to it. She lifted the lid to find all sorts of memorabilia contained inside. Several photos of Kenny, apparently not at his greatest moments.  Charlotte had teased him about those childhood photographs before, so he had hidden them from her. Several letters were also in the box from her when Kenny had served overseas in the military. She pored over every word that had been written by her years ago. Now the tears were ones of nostalgia, and love.

The very last thing she pulled out puzzled her. A red ball with an indent on one side. What is this? Why did he keep it in here? A note was taped to it. "Don't stop laughing. From the first day I met you, I loved your laugh. Keep laughing for me!" Charlotte's eyes widened as she flipped back through the pictures. One of young Kenny as a clown for Halloween. The ball in her hand was on Kenny's nose in the picture. A grin spread over Charlotte's face, and she dropped the picture as she giggled like a schoolgirl. The most beautiful smile, some say, belongs to the one that has seen pain, and yet, still smiles.


***********************************

A verse for you today... Proverbs 4:23, NLT - Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.

It's a short verse, but I read it this morning and it really impacted me. It is really a self explanatory verse and I should be putting it up somewhere that I can always see it. I'd rather learn the easy way.

Thanks for reading this blog, guys! I love to hear that people enjoy it. See you next time! (Hopefully sooner than last time...)

-M.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.