Friday, February 14, 2014

Creative Writing Prompt #8: Shakespeare Style Remixing

Hi again! M. here.

I think that I must be turning into a broken record. Sorry for the lack of posts. Too much of life around here! Well, not completely true. more like too much procrastination. But I digress. Back to Baker Street.

Today I have a (sort of) Creative Writing post that's going to take a bit to explain.

This prompt was inspired by a comedy act done by John Branyan. He does a Shakespearean take on the Three Little Pigs. (Find it here) In class this week, our teacher had us get in groups and remix a fairy tale, Shakespeare style, using a Thesaurus, and memorize it to deliver in class.

As it was a group project, I only did the last third of the story, unfortunately. But I thought I'd share it with you all anyways.

I hear you behind that computer screen. "Stop explaining and give us the story, already!" I know, I can't help myself sometimes. Alright, I'll give it to you. You expect me to actually write what I said I was going to write?

Writing Prompt #8: Remix the Cinderella Story, Shakespeare style.

We enter into the scene with a sobbing, destitute servant girl who desired above all to attend the celebration at the monarch's domicile. She had dashed to the garden where she could wallow in her sorrows in peace. That's when the Enchantress came.

(Above lines are equal parts improvisation and lines acquired from the essay of my classmate. The rights do not belong to me.)

The enchantress smirked. She, with a flourish, shook the sceptre which was beheld in her hand, and conjuring a gown the hue of roses for Cinderella, ne’er so finely perceived before. On her feet here appeared slippers of glass, translucent and sparkling. “As for transportation, no fair maiden simply strolls to a dance.” Spoke the kindly witch; "Make haste and fetch a gourd!” The said orange squash was instantly transformed to a hansom by the fairy. Then the wand was here utilized on creatures, not unlike rats, seven in number. Up from the grass rose beasts out of the small pests, into six sleek steeds, standing silently, subsuming solid shafts, stirrups, and supple straps surrounding said stallions. Of the seventh mouse, an operator of carriages hence appeared.

“Take heed and record in thy mind that to the stroke of midnight, you are charged to make haste from the promenade.” The charitable fairy warned. “Then my work shall no longer lend itself to work.”

Within the space of the consecutive three hours was delivered a sensational evening for the destitute servant girl. Cinderella caught the lingering glance of none other than the monarch’s son and they waltzed late through the dusk and neared the twilight. Then, the pendulum on the grandfather clock swung down a final time that night to call a new day. Cinderella noted with alarm the first peal, wrenched herself from the grasp of the Prince. One of the translucent heels she wore tumbled from her foot and rested itself on the stair as she hastened from the manor.

The gentleman, known to the majority of creation as “charming”, and infatuated with the vanishing maiden, discovered the damsel’s silver shoe situated still on the step. He commanded his ministers to scour the entire territory owned by his progenitor and not to cease ‘til his precious princess was promptly procured. The attendants attempted to partner the magical footwear with every set of feet in the land, til the final foot left belonged here to Cinderella. Though her stepmother refused adamantly to let the ministers try the said shoe on, The glass conformed to the foot of the servant without qualm or resistance.

Henceforth, Cinderella was to wed her love, the Prince, and maintained her time left on earth sincerely, consistently, subsequently.


-Concluded.

Hope you liked it! I will post another of my writing assignments soon. (I wrote it out rather than typed it, but I have to wait to get it back to post it on here.) Anyway, see you next time!

-M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.