Friday, December 27, 2013

Creative Writing Prompts - Dec. 27th (First story!)

Hi again! 

I've decided to force myself to blog more often by doing creative writing prompts. I give myself a word, phrase, or idea, and have to craft a story from it. It's always fun to do this, but I love sharing these too! Any comments and feedback are welcomed! I will try to post these at least three or four times a week... If I ever find that priority list... ;)

December 27th, 2013

Writing prompt #1: Someone experiences snow for the first time. 

I shriek as I look out the window. Something is very wrong. It's 5:51 am and no one else is awake yet. 

Someone has done something horrible to the yard. It's completely white, covered with... Something. I have a bad feeling...

Wait, now Holli is awake, I guess my scream startled her. I am joined at the window. I hear a sharp breath drawn at the sight. "Addison... Our yard! What happened?" She questions fearfully. 

Why is she asking me about such matters? She's a full 572 days older than me, after all. She should know.  Of all the the things we've seen in Archlon, this is a first.

"Perhaps the biopracter is down and something fell through." My sister muses. "See, it's in the other yards too. I'll check the news." She turns away towards the desk and begins to look on the internet.  

My nose accidentally hits the glass and I gasp. It's very cold. Colder than it's ever been in this part of Archlon. "I think I'm going outside for a minute, Holli." I announce. 

She looks back in disgust. "Outside? Why bother?"

I don't know what I think about this new thing outside, but I want to decide if I like it or not. Which means I need to touch it. But of course, I don't tell Holli. She doesn't care about physical things. She'd rather read all day or design a new world in her head. I look at the screen over her shoulder. "Find anything?"

"The biopracter is broken, and that stuff is called snow, Addison." She informs me. "Apparently, before the Schism it fell from the sky all the time; but it's been blocked by the biopracter ever since 2036."

"Is it safe?" I question impatiently. I am no closer to an opinion than I was seven minutes ago and I don't want to waste another one. Another minute, that is.

"Yes, but the NATC advises wearing lots of layers, because the temperature is so low." She stands up and powers the desk off. "I suppose i'll come with you."

It's been a while since I've been outside. The blanket is very white, it stretches everywhere. But it's not big... It falls in microscopic pieces. It seems to burn my face, a little on my forehead, a speck by my nose. I rashly place a hand on the ground and pull back quickly; it's very cold. I set it down again, tentatively, and pick some of the snow up.

Holli is using her watch to analyze some of it. She's always liked conspiracy theories, historical science fiction, stuff like that. I understand now why she came outside with me. She wants facts. Always looking for them. "They're made out of individual flakes, Addison. No two will ever look alike. That's like, a billion unique types just in our yard!"

I don't really care about Holli's facts. Right now, I enjoy being outside. I've never felt like that before. To us, Outside is a necessity, covered with as many buildings as possible and avoided at all costs. The biopracter blocks harsh sunlight and keeps away polluted air.  Yards are simply decoration. We don't even have to put the flowers in ourselves; the wardens take care of that. But I think I like the outside - at least, like this, right now. I wonder if other things fell from the sky before the biopracter was installed.

It is now that I decide I want snow to be normal, like it used to be. I wish I had been around before the Schism. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong generation. 

It is now that I realize I can't go back to before the Schism. But I can go forward... To having snow again. 

It is now that I decide that the biopracter must never be reinstalled again. 

And it is now that I realize that I am destined to be the one who will stop anyone who attempts to do so.  

(Stories will not probably always be this long! Depends on my mood. I will try to get E. to try this too!)

Thanks for reading!
-M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.