Monday, July 3, 2017

Desire Fulfilled

So disappointment is a thing; A really big thing for me. When someone promises to do something for me and then doesn't, even if it's because they literally can't, it hurts really deeply. Even if it's something small, I can get really emotional and I don't always understand why.  I wondered if everyone felt this way or if there was something that had made me hypersensitive to disappointment and broken promises.

Then I found this verse:


Proverbs 13:12English Standard Version (ESV) 

Hope deferred makes the heart sick,
    but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.
It was refreshing to realize that God agrees with me that disappointment sucks but it also showed me that not hoping for things wasn't the answer, because fulfilled desire is a tree of life. That's so beyond good! I do not want to give that up out of fear of disappointment! 
     So what do I do now? I can't stop looking forward to things but I also can't force people to come through for me every time. As I was thinking about that recently, I thought of this verse:


Psalm 42:11English Standard Version (ESV) 

Why are you cast down, O my soul,

    and why are you in turmoil within me?
Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
    my salvation and my God.
Can you relate too? With the Son's of Korah let's speak to our souls:
I know it hurts but you don't have to live in turmoil over disappointment from others people. Hope in God who fulfills the desires of the hearts that are pliable in His hands. I will continue to praise Him despite the distraction of disappointment because He is my savior and He is my God!

-L.

Psalm 37:4-5English Standard Version (ESV)
Delight yourself in the Lord,
    and he will give you the desires of your heart. 
Commit your way to the Lord;
    trust in him, and he will act.

P.S. Here is a song that I sing over myself when disappointment stings. It helps me to focus on the faithfulness of God rather than the failures of my fellow humans.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.