Friday, January 6, 2017

Day 6: "For You Are With Me"

Psalm 23:4


Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

This verse in David's psalm is a rock to me. I desire - I crave - to know that Jesus is with me every day, in each moment. It is not that I feel less capable or more capable dependent on His presence, it is more a matter of breathing. I don't feel like I need my God.

I need Him.

I am encouraged that David doesn't say he feels God's presence, because physically or emotionally feeling the nearness of God is not something I experience often. The valley of the shadow of death certainly doesn't sound fun. I have walked it; I know it better than His presence. It does not seem that presence of Christ would be near in such a place. But to David, it is not about feeling Christ near; rather it is knowing He is near though the feeling has come and gone. 

And yet, comfort is found in the rod and staff of Jesus. The discipline and protection of the Good Shepherd. Those tools bring a stray sheep close to the fold and force back the predators. For this reason, I am comforted when Jesus convicts me that I am moving far from Him, because I know He is bringing me back close, to where I am safe from sin's teeth.

Today I pray for you, as you read this. May the Lord direct you. May He comfort you with His presence. The valley you may be walking in may be the deepest and darkest one you have ever walked, yet I pray His perfect love casts out any fear that is in you. And may you always know the close abiding presence of the Lord who never leaves in the darkness.

-M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please keep comments on topic and use respectful language. Thanks for following this blog! -M.